For Land Managers
- eMTB Pilot Programs on Public Lands program guidelines
- E-bike webinar: Using pilot programs to navigate e-bike use on the trail (2020)
- Austin, TX – a four-month pilot project to evaluate e-bikes and electric scooters with a maximum capability of 20 mph on certain trails. The project took place from Sept. 2019 to Dec. 2019 and a policy is in progress.
- Durango, CO – a one-year pilot project from June 2020 to June 2021 to evaluate Class 1 e-bikes on the Twin Buttes Open Space.
Land Manager Handbook
The land manager handbook was developed in partnership with the bicycling industry and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), in consultation with professional trail builders. It is intended to be a practical field resource for the planning, design, construction, maintenance, and management of electric mountain bike trails.
The above link takes the reader to a low-resolution version of the book, convenient for downloading. For a high-resolution or print version, please contact Morgan Lommele (email@example.com).
eMTB Loan Program
PeopleForBikes makes available Class 1 electric mountains to land management agencies who would like to borrow one for a short period of time to test out the e-bikes on their trails and bicycling facilities. PeopleForBikes arranges to ship the e-bikes to and from a bicycle retailer within close proximity of a workplace, and arranges for the e-bike to be assembled by the retailer. The land management agency is expected to pick up and drop off the e-bike from the bicycle retailer, use and share the e-bike as appropriate, and provide feedback to PeopleForBikes. This program is free of charge.
Since 2017, 25+ land managers from 15+ agencies – local, state, and federal – took advantage of this program. Contact Morgan Lommele (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Best Management Practices for eMTB Trail Design
- Climbing Grades
- Uphill Flow
- Ascending Turns
- Descending Turns
- Single Use Trails
- Managing Increased Use
- Managing Increased Speed
Some Outside Resources
- Educational resources: National Park Service Active Transportation Guidebook
- Webinars/podcasts: Podcast on e-bike use on federal lands with PeopleForBikes; Radio interview with the City of Fruita and the BLM (13 minutes) on their e-bike perspectives; Land Manager Webinar (1/24/18) on e-bike studies, e-bike share, e-bikes as ADA devices, and the e-bike loan program; Front Lines MTB Podcast: eMTB Policy and the Future
- News articles: National Ski Areas Association Journal article on eMTBs at ski areas; Girdwood Fire Department (AK) using e-bikes to increase emergency response times on trails