Click graphic to see larger version
Electric bicycle (e-bike) laws are different in every state, and can be confusing for consumers, retailers, and suppliers. The Bicycle Product Suppliers Association and PeopleForBikes have a partnership to make riding an e-bike easy and accessible for all.
With clear rules on how and where to ride an e-bike, everyone stands to benefit. Local bicycle shops and manufacturers will see increased business and their customers will no longer be confused; people who already ride e-bikes can more easily understand where to ride; and new bicyclists who may be discouraged from riding a traditional bicycle due to limited physical fitness, age, disability or convenience will have new transportation alternatives.
Resources & Tools
- E-Bike Blog Posts
- E-Bike Webinars:
E-Bike Laws & Policies
NEW! State by State E-Bike Guides
- National Conference of State Legislatures "State Electric Bicycle Laws" Overview
- Updated! Primer on e-bike laws around the U.S.
- Interactive map of U.S. e-bike laws
- AB 1096 (California's E-Bike Law)
- Letter of support for progressive e-bike laws from the bicycle industry
- Images of e-bikes vs. mopeds
- Examples of e-bike labeling by class
- Model e-bike legislation
Research & Statistics on E-Bikes
- Evaluation of Electric Bike Use at Three Kaiser Permanente NW Employment Centers in Portland Metro Region (Macarthur, J. and Dill, J. (2016))
- Regulations of E-Bikes in North America: A Policy Review (Macarthur, J. and N. Kobel (2014))
- Electric Bicycles: Public Perceptions & Policy. Results and analysis of a national survey of American bicyclists (McLeod, K., League of American Bicyclists (2014))
- Evaluation of Electric Bike Use at Three Kaiser Permanente NW Employment Centers in Portland Metro Region (MacArthur, J., Portland State University (2016, ongoing))
- e-BikeSAFE: A naturalistic cycling study to understand how electrical bicycles change cycling behaviour and influence safety (Dozza, M., Werneke, J., & Mackenzie, M. (2013))
- A comparative health and safety analysis of electric-assist and regular bicycles in an on-campus bicycle sharing system (Langford, B. (2013))
- Risky riding: naturalistic methods comparing safety behavior from conventional bicycle riders and electric bike riders (Langford, B., Chen, J., Cherry, C. (2015))
- Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode (Peterman, J., Morris, K., Kram, R., Byrnes, W., (2016))
- Using naturalistic data to assess e-cyclist behavior (Dozza M., Piccinini, G., Werneke, J. (2016))
- E-bike statistics library on the PeopleForBikes website
- Comprehensive library of e-bike research on the Light Electric Vehicle Education + Research Initiative website
- Summary of research on e-bike safety
General E-Bike Info
Info for Retailers
- PeopleForBikes' work in your state
- Local engagement portal
- E-Bike Ads:
- New! VIDEO from Bicycle Retailer and Industry News: What's next for e-mountain bikes?
- New! eMTB Playbook for Advocates
- New! eMTB Adventure Map: Boundary Trail (WA)
- New! eMTB Adventure Map: Bangtail Divide (MT)
- New! eMTB Adventure Map: Coopers Gap (PA)
- New! eMTB Adventure Map: Hartman Rocks (CO)
- New! eMTB Adventure Map: Iron Mountain (VA)
- eMTB Adventure Map: Crested Butte (CO)
- eMTB Adventure Map: Sun Valley (ID)
- eMTB Adventure Map: Hood River (OR)
- eMTB Adventure Map: Cuyuna Lakes (MN)
- eMTB Adventure Map: Monarch Crest (CO)
- eMTB Map: Find places to ride all across the U.S.
- eMTB Trail Etiquette Guidelines
Where can I ride my eMTB (list in progress):
- National Recreation Trails Database Search Results
- Note: We are partnering with MTB Project to develop a comprehrensive map of eMTB-accessible trails in the U.S., as well as "eMTB Adevntures" that highlight iconic eMTB rides. Stay tuned!
- Outside Mag's take on eMTBs
For land managers:
- New! Fruita eMTB Study on User Perceptions (with the BLM)
- Survey of land managers on eMTBs (with IMBA)
- eMTB trail resource study (with IMBA) & Fact Sheet for IMBA's eMTB Field Study
- Survey of riders on eMTBs (with IMBA)
- Summary of state and federal eMTB regulations (with IMBA)
- Radio interview with the City of Fruita and the BLM (13 minutes)
- New! State by State eMTB Inventory
- U.S. Forest Service guidance on "Electric Bikes and Trail Management"
- Bureau of Land Management guidance on "Electronic Powered Bicycles on Public Lands"
- Best Management Practices for eMTB Trail Design
For more information, please contact:
- Alex Logemann, state + local policy analyst, Alex@PeopleForBikes.org
Morgan Lommele, e-bike campaigns manager, Morgan@PeopleForBikes.org