Vice President of Philanthropy — PeopleForBikes Foundation
Title: Vice President of Philanthropy for the PeopleForBikes Foundation
Location: Boulder, CO (Remote possible)
Industry: Bicycle Industry Nonprofit 501(c)(3)
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time position
PeopleForBikes (PFB) works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses, and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, accessible and more fun. Our mission is to put more people on bikes more often and make every bike ride better for everyone. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents 280 supplier members, more than 1,100 Ride Spot retailer members, and 1.3 million individuals. The U.S. bicycle industry contributes $88 billion annually to the U.S. economy and supports more than 780,000 jobs. PeopleForBikes has both a Coalition 501c6 that is the U.S. bicycle industry’s trade association and a Foundation 501c3 that supports and promotes bicycling’s benefits and backs crucial bike infrastructure projects and programs.
The PeopleForBikes Foundation seeks a full-time Vice President to lead its ambitious fundraising efforts and activities and create, implement, and manage effective multi-year development strategies and plans for the cultivation and solicitation of gifts from all constituencies. The recent growth in bicycling and its intersectionality with health, climate change, youth engagement, equity and other mobility conversations means there is ample potential for this position to engage with funders and advance the Foundation in a variety of spaces. Primary responsibilities include the development and stewardship of the Foundation Board, strong individual giving, institutional foundation, and corporate revenue channels. The position reports directly to the President and CEO of PeopleForBikes Coalition and Foundation. The preferred location is at PeopleForBikes’ Boulder, Colorado office. Candidates that can work remotely and travel to Boulder regularly, as well as to donors across the U.S., will also be considered. Candidates should possess an entrepreneurial mindset, be self-driven, and comfortable working independently.
- Solidify, expand, and diversify the Foundation’s donor base and network of supporters to secure and increase funding from individual and planned giving donors, foundations, and corporate partners to support PeopleForBikes programs.
- Develop and implement a new strategic fundraising plan to secure annual commitments and multi-year strategic relationships across all funding channels to meet and grow PFB’s revenue needs and key initiatives.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships and donor-centric strategies for all individual donors, planned giving donors, corporate partners, and foundations to deepen engagement with PeopleForBikes.
- As part of the senior leadership of PeopleForBikes, collaborate with the CEO and President of PFB’s Coalition and Foundation on fundraising, organizational strategy and priority setting.
- Support the Foundation Board of Trustees by presenting development activities, preparing development collateral, and staffing development meetings and other events.
- Lead the cultivation efforts of Board members and create Foundation strategic direction with the CEO and President of the Coalition and Foundation
- Co-develop proposals and other fundraising and story-telling collateral with program and communications staff and outside consultants, as needed.
- Oversee and manage stewardship activities; meet all compliance requirements (grant, partnership and more) through timely, accurate and regular reporting (both narrative and financial).
- Work closely with PFB’s Marketing and Communications team to manage all cultivation mailings and draft donor communications such as annual contribution requests, acknowledgement and thank you letters, e-newsletters, and cultivation emails.
- Manage and oversee donor database, donor mailing lists, and online giving vehicles; make recommendations for and implement improvements in moves management and gift processes and general database management, as needed.
- Track and analyze monthly contribution reports to assure budget adherence and work with the PeopleForBikes leadership to develop and manage annual budget (revenues and expenses).
- Support events and plan recognition strategies to cultivate new prospects or support the goals of existing funders.
- Some supervision and team management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree, all majors considered, or equivalent experience.
- A successful candidate should have 5-10 years of experience in fundraising and/or nonprofit management, with a proven fundraising track record.
- Experience leading, developing, and implementing fundraising strategies that build donor loyalty and attract prospective donors across all revenue channels.
- Strong experience in managing and developing budgets and donor portfolios.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion and understands how to execute a strategy that incorporates all three.
- Experience in development operations planning and CRM proficiency preferred.
- Regular travel requirements.
- A commitment to safe, healthy, reliable, and affordable access to bicycling for all members of a community.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways that an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
- Experience and/or passion for bikes is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate effectively to senior professionals.
- Must be able to juggle multiple projects, prioritize activities, and meet deadlines.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at-will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with a range of $140,000- $175,000. PeopleForBikes offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. This includes paid health insurance for employees, a generous paid-time-off (PTO) policy including 22 days plus federal holidays, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule including work from home options, and optional participation in a deferred compensation retirement plan, with immediate vesting of the competitive employer match. In addition, we provide long-term disability insurance, a regional public transportation pass, and a cell phone plan, along with other benefits.
At PeopleForBikes, our agreed-upon set of team norms is what drives us to do our best every day we show up to work. We continually strive to build and strengthen our team, we work together effectively to serve our mission, and we have fun. Beyond that, we’re casual, we work flexibly with some remote work allowed and we love dogs. You don’t have to be an amazing bike rider to work here—what matters to us is a desire to work alongside passionate people improving the world through bikes.
- Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in one, single PDF file, via email, with the subject line VP, PeopleForBikes Foundation to email@example.com.
- The cover letter should be no longer than one page, and briefly explain the candidate’s applicable experience including your experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone, in-person inquiries, or emails to individual staffers.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable, and more accessible places for everyone to ride starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We want our staff to be reflective of the backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the communities we serve and to create an inclusive work environment where employees and the communities we serve feel welcomed, valued, respected, and received. We believe that no matter who you are, where you're from, or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle.