Northwest Arkansas Innovation Program Manager
Title: Northwest Arkansas Innovation Program Manager
Location: Benton County, Arkansas (PeopleForBikes is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado)
Industry: Bicycle Industry Nonprofit
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time position
PeopleForBikes works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. Our mission is to get more people on bikes more often and make biking better for everyone. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents 295 supplier members, more than 1,100 Ride Spot retailer members and nearly 1.4 million individuals. We support and promote bicycling’s benefits and back crucial bike infrastructure policies, projects and programs.
PeopleForBikes (PFB) seeks a full-time program manager for its Northwest Arkansas Bike Business Innovation team, based in Benton County, AR. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about getting more people to bike for transportation and enjoys collaborating with stakeholders within the Northwest Arkansas community to accomplish the Bike Business Innovation program’s goals.
This position will report to the Northwest Arkansas Business Innovation director and supervise the team’s program coordinator. They are responsible for managing the team who is developing and implementing behavior-changing programming that will help Benton County employers rapidly increase the number of employees who bike for transportation and recreation through programmatic and infrastructure interventions. This work requires a dynamic, accelerated approach that leverages internal and external resources.
- Four-year college degree, all majors considered; experience can be substituted for years of advanced education.
- Experience in program design, delivery and communications, ideally with municipal, university and/or corporate transportation or behavior change programs.
- Experience in marketing and communications across a variety of channels and platforms, including corporate communications and targeted or individualized marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated project management skills and ability to usher a complex project through to completion.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and storytelling.
- Collaborative team approach to work and the ability to interface with external partners and people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- The ability to work independently, comfortably juggle multiple projects and work on tight timelines.
- Available to work early morning, evening and weekend events as needed, and willing to travel 10% of the time, including international travel.
- A commitment to safe, healthy, reliable and affordable access to bicycling for all members of a community.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways in which an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
- Experience using graphic design tools, email marketing services, social media platforms, photo/video production and mobile apps to accomplish goals.
- Experience in event design and management.
- Experience in data collection (research, interviews and observations).
- Experience in facilitation (organizing a structured, productive group conversation).
- Experience conducting outreach in diverse communities, identifying underserved communities and supporting strategies to enhance access to program offerings for those communities.
- Spanish language skills
The program manager will be expected to:
- Engage, inspire and motivate NWA workers of all backgrounds to ride bikes more often.
- Build collaborative relationships with partners including business, philanthropic, community and civic leaders, as well as subject-matter experts, to achieve common goals and confront barriers to change.
- Deliver encouragement, incentives and marketing campaigns to Benton County businesses for awareness and increased program participation.
- Design, implement and evaluate comprehensive action plans for project delivery to participating businesses, including timetables and budget for projects or program elements.
- Design, implement and evaluate mechanisms to increase the number of people who bike, including targeted marketing and communications, group rides and classes, engagement events, incentive programs, peer support and more.
- Create, write and develop stories, reports and other methods of communicating that demonstrate progress, best practice and learning, as well as highlight business and community partnerships.
- Support the Business Innovation director in presenting policy recommendations that center bicycling within communitywide transportation and economic solutions, with a focus on accelerated implementation.
- Attend community events and develop relationships with bike industry partners.
- Work cross-functionally with different teams within PeopleForBikes, including Local Innovation, Business Network and Marketing and Communications, to further the organization’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Connect and work with people of different races, genders, socioeconomic classes, job types and other diversity of culture, background and experience.
- Supervise our program coordinator.
- Some travel is necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience with a range of $60,000 - $72,000. A comprehensive benefits package is offered, which includes health insurance (at least a taxable stipend towards individual coverage), generous paid time off and optional participation in a deferred compensation plan, with immediate vesting. We also offer professional development stipends, industry pro deals and pay you for riding your bike through our bike benefits program.
- Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and one writing sample in a single PDF file, via email, with “Northwest Arkansas Programs Manager” as the subject line to PeopleForBikes’ chief of staff at email@example.com.
- The cover letter should not exceed one page and briefly explain the candidate’s applicable experience including your experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone or in-person inquiries.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable and more accessible places for everyone to ride starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We want our staff to be reflective of the backgrounds, experiences and perspectives of the communities we serve, and to create an inclusive work environment where employees and the communities we serve feel welcomed, valued, respected and received. We believe that no matter who you are, where you're from or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle.